Howdy folks, I think it’s probably time to give everyone an update on how I’m doing with the Family of Fang and Claw.
I’m very close to being done and -while there’s still a lot of work to do- I should be done in time for October. I know I’ve said that the last two Octobers, but it wasn’t really true unless I resorted to doing flash fiction for the remaining stories. It would have been sloppy and unsatisfying. I wouldn’t have been happy with that, and neither would you. What I’m going to give you instead is 13 intersecting stories that will read much more like a novel.
There’s about 70k words “completely completed,” and probably something like 15k written in partials for the remaining stories. The last story will probably sit somewhere around 30k words on its own, as it completes the character arc of Seth, and I’m thinking the entire collection will sit somewhere between 100k and 120k. If it were a paperback novel, that would sit it somewhere between 350-400 pages.
It’s big, it’s real, and it will knock you flat on your ass.
I’m hoping to have first drafts of everything done by the end of July -the big thing holding me back has been my available time, and I’ve worked that out for the rest of this year at least- and second drafts done by August and everything finalized by September. Then I’m going to push this out to every single reviewer of horror fiction I can possibly find and plan for a release date on October 13th.
The collection will be available on Amazon eBook for $6.66 and my Patreon -more on that below- starting at $3/mos.
Here’s a look at the Table of Contents although some titles may change.
|2||The Pancake Family||Completed|
|6||Glass Tongue||Partial Draft|
|8||The God of Halfway||Completed|
|10||Doors of the Dark||Completed|
|11||The Order of Edges||Completed|
|13||The Choice||Partial Draft|
Some of those “Completeds” will still need a minor bit of tweaking depending on a few things I may or may not do with the other stories, but those tweaks would be very minor and wouldn’t provide much delay. The Chooser, The Chance, and The Choice are all stories of “Seth” and will serve as the backbone against which all the other stories are set. Fat-Thulu is a new name for The Feeder of Her, because it’s obviously a much funner name and more fitting of that particular story. I’m not very good with titles, so as I said before, you will probably see a lot of that change in the final collection.
Of the remaining stories, I’m planning to make The Doors of the Dark and Widdershins publicly available, although only the former of those would be in a format that would work for r/nosleep. I’ll probably write some one-off fiction on r/nosleep though that’s set in the same world. I also have some one-off stuff I’ve been thinking on but haven’t had time to write, as I’ve been trying to figure out how to top the Pancake Family for a while and I think I have a concept I can rework that might just do the trick. There are stories in the collection that will top the Pancake Family, but they’re not first person and wouldn’t work in that format.
If you thought the first part of the God of Halfway was bad, wait till you read the ending.
After The Family of Fang and Claw is completed I’ll still write horror on a one-off basis, but I’ll primarily focus on the Age of Fusion and finishing up a novel I’ve been working on set in the Tide World. I may even return to the cosmos (hint hint, wink wink, oh I can’t wait for that reveal) but it won’t be in as dedicated a fashion. Unless this really hits home instead of selling the tens of copies I expect it to and demands a sequel.
I do everything through Amazon because it’s easy, but I know that doesn’t work for everyone. For that reason, I’ve started a Patreon. Also, because of money -but mostly because I know that Amazon doesn’t work for everyone. The starting price is pretty cheap $3/mos, and you get access to everything I’ve written at that amount including Family Stories from the old blog. Any time I write anything “exclusive” you get access to that too.
At higher amounts you get more stuff -including at one level the ability to view my Google Drive, which I made super expensive because I don’t actually want anyone to do it- but $3/mos felt like a pretty fair price. At certain levels of income I can make certain promises about what I’m able to deliver. While I’m not really expecting to turn a profit for this, I thought it might be neat to funnel the money back into the site. For example, if I make $250/mos which is at the very highest limit of what I could foresee myself making, I would just funnel all of that money into commissioning art for my stories. $500/mos and I would do audio adaptations, etc.
If you want to read two Family of Fang and Claw stories before the collection is released, they’re currently up on my Patreon right now. Namely, The Halfway God and The Order of Edges. Hope you enjoy if you look and that this doesn’t appear to be a naked money grab.
Tear Down This Paywall!
- This will get you access to any and all finished exclusive content that I write… unless I get a publishing deal or something, or there’s some other legal reason I can’t let you see something. Anything I can give you, I will give you.
- This will also get you access to my archives, so you can read all the completed work I’ve written up to the point you sign up.
Ten George Washingtons, One Vote
- All Previous Rewards
- Take part in a monthly vote as to what my next short story project will be.
Notice me, Senpai!
- All previous rewards
- I will name at least one character after you in a story. You get to choose the story genre and provide a physical description.
- What the heck, if you keep contributing at this level, you can give me other names too except I can’t promise how often I’ll be able to use them.
Let’s Get Physical
- All Previous Rewards
- I will mail you a random autographed noun. Person, place, thing or idea. As long as my fiancee says it’s okay and it’s somewhere I can grab it.
- I will write an off-the-wall biography of you and put it on a contributor’s page on my website. Very praising (unless you’re like a sex criminal or something using this to try to feel legitimate about yourself instead of going to therapy for years) and flattering, of course.
- IF (so you may want to think about this) I reach the point where I can start making high quality physical books I will send these to you. If I get published, I will literally buy you the book and send it to you. This starts at the time of your patronage.
- All previous rewards
- You’ll get view-only access to my Google Drive. You’ll be able to see everything I’m working on as I’m working on it. Including unfinished novels, unfinished short stories, and notes to myself about the worlds I’m building. The only thing you won’t be able to see is the master outlines for unfinished work.
- Uh… please also understand this is where I work things out, so it’s entirely possible that you’ll hate what you see here.
Elon Musk Level God-Mode
- All previous rewards
- I will personally feel about you the same way I feel about Elon Musk. If someone insults you, I will get a weirdly intense emotional reaction and talk about what a good person you are and brush over all of your faults. Then I’ll make pie-in-the-sky compliments about you and how you’re basically the best person who has ever lived and claim that you are going to fix everything.
- If you ARE Elon Musk, I will literally* crap my pants
- There is no real reason anyone should contribute at this level, or above $3/mos if I’m being honest
$100,001 per month
$1,000,000 per month